Brexit - Click Travel


Find out all you need to know about how Brexit may affect your travel to Europe from 1 January 2021.

At Click we’ve got a dedicated team working on all things Brexit and we are continually monitoring how it could affect our customers, including the possible impact of a no deal. We are also CBI members and are taking advantage of their lead position on Brexit negotiations and using their senior team to work with on Brexit preparedness. The team at Click are here to ensure that Brexit has the lowest possible impact on your travel plans.

Once we have officially left the EU on January 31st, the transition period will mean that the laws currently governing the UK should remain in place until December 2020. This will mean that on the whole, life and business should continue as it is now during this transition period and therefore there should be little impact on your business travel.

The advice below relates to certain areas of business travel that may be affected following the end of the transition period from 1 January 2021 onward.

For the transition period, the UK Government and the European Commission had confirmed certain measures which meant that flights could continue as normal between the UK and Europe.

The UK and EU will need to reach further agreement to ensure that this can continue from 1 Jan 2021. However, both sides are confident that agreement will be reached due to the importance of air connectivity between the UK and Europe.

This is positive news but as always we want to reassure you that in the unlikely event of any flight disruption we will support our customers and assist with alternative travel arrangements.

The good news is that regardless of Brexit, we will still be able to claim compensation for delayed flights like we could before (if we want to get technical, this is because EU Passenger Rights Legislation will be incorporated into UK law when we leave as part of the Withdrawal Act).

The bad news is that this doesn’t necessarily mean that you will get compensation if your flight is affected as a result of Brexit. This is because compensation is only considered if disruption or delay was within the airlines control/the airline’s fault. It’s likely that if flights are disrupted as a result of Brexit, the cost of the ticket will be refunded by the airline but further compensation will not available. To add to this, the Government have also indicated that it’s the down to passengers to make sure their insurance and ticket terms are sufficient to cover any disruption.

The advice in this situation would be to check the Terms and Conditions of individual airlines to see if Brexit would be covered for any compensation claims. It is also worth considering upgrading your travel insurance policy and again checking the terms to see if it would cover disruption related to Brexit.

Passport rules will change from 1 January 2021 and so you may need to renew your passport sooner than you thought. The Government has said that passports should have at least 6 months of validity remaining (and be no older than 9 years and 6 months). If your passport does not match these rules then you could be denied entry into Europe.

Note – Travel to Ireland is subject to separate Common Travel Area arrangements which will remain the same after the UK leaves the EU.

Visa-free travel to the EU for UK nationals has been agreed for short stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day period.

For longer stays for work or for business travel, you may require a visa. The advice is different depending on the country you are travelling to, so check each country’s travel advice page for information on how to get a visa or permit.

Travel between different EU countries and travel to the EU for leisure will also count towards the 90 day total (if it is within the same 180 day period) so if you exceed this you may also need a visa to continue to travel to the EU.

There may also be some slight changes at border control when visiting Europe after Brexit. You may need to show a return or onward ticket and show you have enough money for your stay.

Note – Travel to Ireland is subject to separate Common Travel Area arrangements which will remain the same after the UK leaves the EU.

The Government have advised that Eurostar and Eurotunnel services will be running as before.

However it is still worth checking before you travel for any delay/disruption but as always we want to reassure you that if there is disruption to any Eurostar bookings as a result of Brexit, we will support our customers and help work towards alternative travel arrangements.

You may also consider upgrading potential travel insurance policies and checking the terms to see if it would cover disruption related to Brexit.

Licences and Documentation:

Currently, all that UK citizens need in order to drive in the EU is their UK driving licence. Following the transition period drivers may also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with their UK licence.

IDP’s will cost £5.50 and you can apply for them through the Post Office. There are two different types of permit depending on which country you are visiting; to check which type you need you can go to the Post Office site or you can read more Government advice about it here.


Also, following 1 January 2021 if you plan on taking your car to the EU you may also need a ‘Green Card’ (but not if you are renting a car locally, so don’t worry on that front all you’ll need is the IDP). A Green Card is a physical document that you will need to carry to prove that you have sufficient insurance when driving in Europe. You can get a Green card from your insurer.

You will also need your log book (V5C), your insurance certificate and a GB sticker for your car if you want to take it to the EU after 1 January 2021.

*As the political situation changes, so may this information. Please be aware that this information is only reflective of the current advice that has been issued by the Government. Our Brexit working party are updating this page regularly.

We are here to help you no matter what the result of Brexit

As more information becomes available and the situation develops we will be working with all of our customers to support and help assist with travel plans.

For the official Government advice and the areas which could be affected, you can check out the following resources:

Visiting Europe after Brexit

If you have any other queries please contact: